Schools of Choice
2020-2021 Kent County Schools of Choice applications will be available April 13 - June 1 and 105c Schools of Choice applications(out of county) will be available April 8 - June 1, 2020 .
Comstock Park participates in both the Kent Intermediate School District Schools of Choice and the 105c Schools of Choice plans. All students residing within the Kent Intermediate School District may apply for enrollment in any Kent ISD school that has available openings during the advertised time frame. Students who reside in a district that is within a different ISD which borders the Kent ISD, may apply under the 105c plan.
Considerations for Families Considering Schools of Choice
Transportation is not provided for Schools of Choice students, parent or student must provide their own transportation.
- A parent/guardian may bring a SOC student to a specific group stop once they communicate with the transportation department as to which stop would be best. If the student will be picked up at a daycare or relatives’ home, the stop must already be an existing stop, a new stop will not be created. Stops on private property are not allowed without written permission from the property owner and it is already an established stop.
- Michigan law and KISD Superintendents' Association agree that siblings should be kept together in a single district whenever possible. As a result, siblings of current Choice students may receive preference in filling district openings.
- Special Education students wishing to enroll under Section 105c for whom a cooperative agreement regarding costs cannot be obtained with their district of residence will be refused Schools of Choice.
- Enrollment may also be denied to students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
- Accepted students must agree to comply with Choice district's policies.
Schools of Choice Timelines and Applications
Applications will be available on April 13, 2020. Applications are not considered on a first come, first served basis. If we receive more applications than we have grade-level openings, a blind draw will be required. You may either mail the completed application to our office at 101 School St NE, Comstock Park, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. It must be received by our office no later than 4:00 pm on June 1, 2020 for 105C applications(out of county) and for Kent County Schools of Choice applications.
Students residing in a district within the Kent ISD may apply for Schools of Choice April 13 - June 1, 2020. Parents will be notified by June 15 if the student is accepted and must confirm acceptance no later than June 22. Waitlist families will be notified about openings and must confirm their decision to attend by July 1, 2020.
Kent County SOC applications only:
Students residing in contiguous intermediate school districts bordering the Kent ISD such as Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Ottawa (districts such as Coopersville, Allendale, Tri-County, Grant), may apply through Schools of Choice 105c April 8 - June 1, 2020. Parents will be notified by June 15 if the student is accepted and must confirm acceptance no later than June 22. Waitlist families will be notified about openings and must confirm their decision to attend by July 1, 2020.
105c SOC applications only:
Note New Athletic Rule - Important!
Athletics and Schools of Choice
According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association, students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 through 12 who have participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest in an MHSAA sport on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere during the previous season for a sport, and then transfer to an MHSAA member school, are ineligible at all levels of that sport at that school through the next complete season in that sport. Students who transfer during a season in which they are participating are ineligible at all levels of that sport for the remainder of that season, and they remain ineligible at all levels of that sport through the next complete season in that sport.**
- According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 – 12 who have not participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere in an MHSAA sport one season may transfer from one school to another with no delay in eligibility at any level in that sport the next season.**
- **This new rule will begin implementation on August 1, 2018, with effects on eligibility beginning August 1, 2019.
If you have additional questions, please call Lisa Nava at 616-254-5018.
|Kent County SOC||105C||Total Openings|